Wednesday, September 8, 2010

One hell of a day

Not really sure where to start this post.  I got up this morning at 1:30 AM after about 3 1/2 hours of sleep.  I had a few projects going on at work & I wanted to get them done.  It also was my kids first day of school for the year, so I wanted to be home to help them get ready.  The first day of school is always the most important to a kid. I took my lunch break around 7 AM & got my kids off to school, then went back to work at about 9:00.  At about 11:15 my cell phone rings.  I was working, so I didn't answer it, but I looked at it to see who it was.  It's my sister-in-law.  This is a bit unusual, but I didn't really think much of it.  About 5 minutes later, there is a page on the store intercom for me to take a customer call.  I pick up the phone & it's my nephew.  He tells me that my mother-in-law has passed away. Being over-tired & stressed & caught completely off guard, I lost my composure a bit.  I think I might have said a few swear words in front of some customers, but I don't know for sure.  Hopefully they didn't complain to my supervisor.  Anyways, I left the store as quickly as I possibly could, then drove to my MIL's house.  My father-in-law was a complete wreck when I got there .  He was all upset because he was in the living room drinking coffee & thought she was sleeping.  He's completely convinced that if he had been there, he coud've saved her.  She died in her sleep. According to the coroner, it was most likely a sudden massive coronary episode. There was nothing anyone could have done.  I spent a good portion of my day trying to convince my FIL of this, but I'm fairly certain he still thinks that it was all his fault.  I really hate situations like this, when there is absolutely nothing I can do do make someone feel better.  I never know the right things to say.
My husband took it pretty hard, too.  He's spending the night over there, with some other family members.  I had to come home because the kids have school in the morning.  I thought about keeping them home, but I figure school is probably a better environment for them to be in right now.  Anyways, thats about it on my day from hell.  Glad it's over.  I really need to get some sleep, cuz I think my brain turned off several hours ago.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Jen, that's terrible. I know there's nothing you can say at a time like this, words mean nothing. It's just time with emotions for everyone in their own way. Seems like you never get a break from the stress, huh? My best wishes to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Captain. Things are a little better today, now that I've had some sleep & can think straight. The shock has worn off a little. It's probably all for the best. She was completely miserable, so maybe she's in a happier place now. Do you suppose that if heaven were a real place that they would have vodka/tonics??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Jen. I am very sorry for your loss. It is never easy to lose someone or to see your family in pain. I have had several friends who have had major loss in the last few years and I agree with the captain; there is no "right" thing to say, but your presence is everything. Hang in there Jen, you have had your share of stress lately too. There will always be people who are there for you as well.

    ReplyDelete